If you live in the Akron, OH, area, then you may have recently noticed an influx of yellow jackets terrorizing your yard. These pesky insects can be difficult to get rid of, but with the right information, you can send them packing! Epcon Lane will discuss some helpful yellow jacket facts. We'll help you identify them, show you how Akron pest control can help get rid of them, and explain what attracts them in the first place.
Is This A Yellow Jacket?
One of the first steps in getting rid of yellow jackets is to make sure you're actually dealing with yellow jackets and not another type of insect. So, how can you tell if what's buzzing around your yard is indeed a yellow jacket?
Here are some key characteristics:
- Yellow jackets are about ½ - ⅝ inches long.
- They are yellow and black striped with a bright yellow head.
- Their wings are clear with small black spots.
- You'll usually find them in groups near their nests.
They are often confused with bees or wasps, but there are some key differences. For example, bees are generally much larger than yellow jackets and have fuzzier bodies. Wasps also have a different body shape; they're more elongated than yellow jackets. If you're still not sure, your best bet is to contact a professional who can help you identify the insect in question.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Yellow Jackets
The first step is to figure out where the yellow jackets are nesting. This can be tricky, as they often build their nests in hidden places like cracks in walls, in trees, and there are even yellow jackets that live in the ground. If you're having trouble finding the nest, keep an eye out for yellow jacket activity. Once you've located the yellow jacket nest, it's best to not attempt to remove it yourself. Trying to do it yourself can be dangerous; yellow jackets are known to be aggressive and they will sting if they feel threatened.
If you can't find the nest or you don't want to deal with removing it yourself, contact Epcon Lane for professional yellow jacket control in Akron. Here at Epcon Lane, we will be able to safely get rid of the yellow jackets and their nest for you.
What Kind Of Things Attract Yellow Jackets?
Now that we know how to get rid of yellow jackets, let's talk about what attracts them in the first place.\
There are a few things that can attract yellow jackets to your yard:
- Standing water: Yellow jackets are attracted to standing water, so if you have any bird baths, ponds, or other sources of water in your yard, they may be attracting yellow jackets.
- Trash: Yellow jackets are also attracted to trash, so if you have any garbage cans that aren't properly sealed, yellow jackets may use them as a food source.
- Food: If you're having a picnic or barbecue in your yard, the food may be attracting yellow jackets.
Once you know what's attracting them, you can take steps to remove the attractants and help keep yellow jackets away.
How To Keep Yellow Jackets Away From Your Home For Good
The best way to deal with yellow jackets is to prevent them from coming in the first place.
Here are some tips:
- Keep your yard clean and free of trash.
- Make sure all of your garbage cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Eliminate standing water sources in your yard.
- If you're having a picnic or barbecue, keep food covered until it's time to eat.
By following these tips, you can help prevent yellow jackets from taking over your Akron yard. However, if you're already dealing with an infestation, the best thing to do is contact a professional home pest control company like Epcon Lane. We've been helping Akron homes and businesses deal with all sorts of pests since 1945. We will be able to safely and effectively get rid of the yellow jackets and their nest for you. Contact us today.